Monday, February 22, 2010

The Difference Between The Husband and Me

I had to pick up a few things at the grocery store today. The sun was shining, I was without children and gosh darn it, it felt great.

20 minutes all to myself and I spent it inside Save-On-Foods. Who needs beer when you live life like I do.

The bill came to $10.34. I handed the cashier a ten dollar bill and 35 cents. She took the money and put it inside the till.

Then she asked me if I wanted my change.

She apparently doesn't read my blog.

I'll be honest with you. Although I razzed my dear husband about not wanting those two pennies back at MickyD's, I honestly didn't know what I would have said.

I found out today.

"Yes."

I told the cashier I wanted my penny.

Let me just pause while that sinks in.

Yes. I said YES I wanted my dang penny, thankyouverymuch, took that penny and put it in my change purse. It was pure instinct. No hesitation. And with witnesses present. It's not like I was in the drive thu. I publicly announced to the entire quick serve 15 items or less line that yes, Scottish blood runs through my veins and I wanted a solitary penny.

But dang it, a person's got to have principles. right? If I had paid by debit card, she wouldn't have asked if she should just round up my total to $10.35, right?

Right?

They're not gonna start doing that, right? 'Cause I can't take the humiliation.

2 comments:

Ellie said...

Good for you Colleen! After all, if you were short a penny, they wouldn't just say, "Oh, that's OK!" they would get in trouble if their till was just one penny short. It's one thing for you to say...as they hand it to..."that's OK, keep it" but for them to assume they can keep more money isn't right. It's like saying, please give me a tip!

bridget {bake at 350} said...

I just can't believe that! Why do cashiers think this is OK? It even bothers me in sit-down restaurants. If I don't want my change, I'll say "keep the change!" But in a store! When I worked retail we were in trouble if our cash drawers were under OR over. Are the keeping track of the change and pocketing it? Shouldn't that be illegal?

Oh, you have me all riled up now.