Friday, January 30, 2009

25 Random Thoughts About Me

So I was tagged.

Thanks, Theresa. I mean that.

I whined at her and she gave me a free pass, but now I'm feeling guilty and to be perfectly honest, I started wondering if I could come up with 25 thoughts. About me.

Plus the cable was installed today and with two salivating teenagers and an enamoured Husband googling over images in high definition, I have as much chance of choosing a show to watch as I have a chance of winning the Mrs. America title.

But at least it means I got ownership of the laptop.

So here we go.

25 Random Thoughts About Me

1. I got married at the ripe age of 20. It's been a wild ride, and my heart still flutters at the sound of my husband's voice on the other end of the phone.

2. I had a cat named Fat Albert. He used to suck on my neck. I still tear up thinking about him and he's been gone for 18 years.

3. I want my house to be picture perfect. It rarely is.

4. My whole life all I wanted was to be a Mom. I had no idea how hard this job would be. Or that I would be parenting a 17 year old and 2 year old at the same time. I have all the patience in the world when I work with other people's children. But not my own. And that is humiliating.

5. I dream of having at least one children's book published. I got close once.

6. Words fly through my brain as I drift off to sleep each night. I see words on the page. I always think I should get up and write them down but convince myself that I'll remember certain phrasing in the morning. I don't.

7. I was almost stabbed in the hand with a pencil. I'm proud of my quick reflexes that avoided an injury. Who knew that someone in grade 2 could hate math that much?

8. My husband and I have moved 11 times in our marriage. And we've never hired a mover. The best move was when I cut myself on a box and got blood poisoning. It meant I couldn't do any more packing.

9. I am an anxious person. I worry about stuff big and small allllll the time. One of my first memories is worrying about something. I had panic attacks in college. It is one of my biggest demons.

10. Speech and language fascinate me. I would have become a speech pathologist if I was better in the sciences. My brain is not 'well' wired for speech. I was a very late talker. All four of our children were late talkers. It's probably one of the reasons I love writing. I can get my thoughts out in a relatively coherent train of thought. I can't tell a story but I can write one.

11. My entire life has been spent with people telling me I look younger than I truly am. In grade 5 a relative asked me if I was going into grade 2. I got carded at the liquor store at the ripe age of 34 years old. It has always irritated me. I have never felt like people think I'm a real adult.

12. The irony of looking younger than my age is that I started going grey at the age of 15.

13. I'm already shrinking. I used to be 5'2". Now I'm 5'1".

14. I was named Colleen because I was born on St. Patrick's Day. I was destined to love the colour green. And marry a man of Irish heritage.

15. I knew I was meant to work with children with autism the day I was driving home from work and I realized I hadn't thought about how much money I had just earned.

16. I have a hard time making friends. I always think people won't want to talk to me or spend time with me. And I suck at small talk. Please refer to #10.

17. I cry at the drop of a hat. I wish I had better control over it. It's embarrassing.

18. I love coffee. I love tea. I love rum.

19. I hated beer until I was pregnant with our fourth child. Then I craved it like no one's business (no, I didn't drink any). A beer was the first thing I had when we got home from the hospital with the Baby. I have loved it ever since.

20. Giving birth to our fourth child was one of the scariest moments of my entire life. I had nightmares afterwards for months. I still have no idea why she's ok. God was present that day.

21. I hate the sound of people chewing. Like nails on a chalkboard.

22. I have an insane, INSANE fear of the dentist.

23. I love musicals. LOVE them.

24. I love to bake. Cooking? Not so much.

25. I devour books. Nothing is better than reading a great book to escape life. I love old authors like A.J. Cronin, L.M Montgomery, Betty Smith and Jane Erye.

There. I did it. That was way harder than I thought.

And so now I'm suppose to tag 25 people. Do I know 25 people?

Seeing as how I struggle with this (refer to point #16) I think I shall leave this one open to those who want to join in.

Anyone?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about this. I've thought for years I was only five feet. Apparently all this chiropractic work is paying off because I'm now 5 five 1 inch.

We've met in the middle and are now the same height.

Theresa said...

What a lovely list! I'm glad you shared it with your loyal readers.

I have to add a #26 to my list . . . I squealed when I was mentioned on a great blog called Mahoney Musings!

:D

sjb said...

Colleen,

great list.
#16 & #17 - I SO suck at small talk. I just can't be bothered to fill time with words that aren't interesting to me. It drove my mother crazy. She would call to chat, I don't do chatting well. She would chat, I would listen, she would say "are you there?" and I would say "yup, I'm listening to you". I'm totally fine with listening if you're fine with talking.
I get the crying thing from my dad's family. My tough, gruff dad has 'leaky eyeballs' as my mother called them. So does my aunt, so did my granny, and so do I!

MahoneyMusings said...

"Leaky eyeballs". Hehe.

I am quite amazed at how many people have told me they relate to #16 the 'small talk', etc. How lucky your Mom was to have given birth to a 'listener'. Every talker in a family needs one of those.