Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Cranberry Orange Scones

It's time for another episode of:
Cranberry Orange Scones

I've looked at and tried out quite a few cranberry scone recipes. It's hard to find recipes that call for fresh cranberries. Also, I wanted a recipe that wasn't fussy. This house hasn't seen parchment paper or zest of anything since, well, several children ago.

So I ended up conglomerating several recipes into something pretty easy and not too time consuming. Cutting up fresh cranberries takes some time, but you can use a handy tip that my mom taught me. Say a prayer while you're doing something that is mindless and takes a bit of time. Like cutting up lots of little cranberries.

Enjoy!




Cranberry Orange Scones

Ingredients:

2 cups flour

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

2 Tbsp sugar

1/2 cup butter, cut into small pieces

1/2 cup fresh cranberries, chopped

2/3 cup orange juice

2 tsp orange zest (if you've got it and have the time. I never add it.)
















Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Mix dry ingredients together.

3. Add butter and mix until the texture of coarse crumbs.















4. Stir in cranberries, using a spoon.















5. Add orange juice and mix with spoon just until mixture comes together.















6. Empty onto counter and gently form into a rough ball.

7. Press ball into a thick circle.















8. Cut circle in half, then each half into three.













9. Place on doubled baking sheet.

10. Sprinkle with sugar (optional.....I like them iced, but they're great with sugar, too).

11. Bake for 22 minutes, until a light golden brown.















12. When cooled, ice with a thin vanilla or orange glaze if you haven't sprinkled them with sugar.



I always double the recipe and use margarine instead of butter. They're best when made with butter, but at $4 a pound out in these parts......margarine it is!

And now, I'm moving on to start perfecting some lemon scones. I don't think I'll be able to get away with 'zest free' for those.....

Recipes anyone?
** and is anyone else out there having major problems with spacing on blogger? No matter what I do, it won't save the changes I make with the spacing....I give up!!**

8 comments:

Susannah said...

Oh these look (and smell) fantastic. I love orange in anything! :~D

Paul Stilwell said...

Uhm, can I come over for a haircut some time?

Sometimes you have to type your words in html edit, rather than the 'compose' box to clear stuff up. It has to do with the photos. They sometimes make the spacing wide for some reason.

MahoneyMusings said...

@ e-Mom...If you love orange, add the orange zest for sure!

@ Paul....uhm, is a haircut just a ruse to get in on some taste testing of scones?? And I'll try your suggestion re: typing in html. I even tried deleting the picture where the spacing was all wacky and it still didn't fix it.

Pearl said...

Oh, MAN do those look good!
Pearl

MahoneyMusings said...

Thanks! The best thing about them is they last longer than my pumpkin scones. Two out of mt four kids don't like 'things' in their baked goods. I actually got to eat two of them.

Crafty P said...

those look sooooo good! so good. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

I, too, have been having major spacing issues lately. thought it had something to do with hard breaks?

i don't know though

MahoneyMusings said...

It's good to hear someone else is having problems with spacing. I took my brother's advice and went into the html edit and fixed the spacing there. It worked for another post I was having issues with, but not this one.

Weird!

Unknown said...

Colleen....
I had one for the first time the other day as I rushed to school on the bus at 6am.
It seriously made my day (I'm not overexxagerating, like seriously). SO AMAZING!


PLLLLEEAASSEEE next time you make these (I hope soon....send some more over to our house!!!) It could be my early birthday present ;) (yes I'm aware it's still January and my birthday is 3 months away...)