Saturday, February 7, 2009

Anybody Want a 40 Pound Bag of Dog Food?

Heavy sigh.

It's been awhile since I've discussed my brain farts .

Yet again, in my defense, I was shopping with the Baby at 4:00 in the afternoon and she's growing out of her naps (which, by the way, is SO not cool) and she was a tad grumpy. And refusing to sit in the shopping cart. And running down the aisle in pursuit of chocolate and Old Dutch baked dill pickle chips.

That is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Dog food was on the list. I bought the wrong dog food. I bought 40 pounds of the wrong dog food. A massive bag that isn't even the same colour as the brand I usually buy.

Further to my defense, it was the day that Bear Dog stopped eating and I know I was preoccupied with that. But once I realized my mistake, the thought of hauling a 40 pound bag of kibble back to the store was about as tantalizing as giving the Dog an enema, so there the bag sat in the middle of the kitchen floor. Mocking me.

I rationalized that the Dog would eat it. Sure she'd eat it. She's been the pickiest eater since the age of 9 weeks, and I have to soak her kibble first because she doesn't like hard dog food of any kind and I also have to hide some meat in it and maybe a bit of egg or grated cheese or some lovely peanut butter toast bits, but I was sure she'd eat this new food.

I was very wrong.

I am also very stubborn. And incredibly cheap. I tried to feed that blinking dog the new food. I have soaked it in beef broth, chicken broth, coated in with beef stew, chicken, egg and cheese. I have hidden hot dogs in the stuff.

And she won't touch it.

Lest you think I've been starving our dog, I gave up with the stupid food quite a while ago. She's still an impressive 90 pounds. But, that huge bag of food has just been sitting there in the mud room, sticking its tongue out at me every time I walk past it to take the Dog outside.

Stupid bag.

So the behaviourist in me started thinking. "I wonder if I could get her to eat that food?"

No. I couldn't. I put 5 pieces of that kibble hidden in a massive bowl of ground beef, rice, mashed carrots and she took one sniff of it and walked away.

Not a stupid dog. Or perhaps she is and she's just as stubborn as me.

I wonder if she hates the food or associated the food with the Bear Dog's passing and thinks I'm trying to poison her? Oh, to understand the mind of a dog.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think it's the last one.
I wouldn't want to be poisoned either.