Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Patience and Trust

The next few weeks will be a time of patience for everyone in our extended family.

In this world of 'right now', patience is becoming a lost virtue. Google, the Internet, microwaves, fast food restaurants, prepackaged foods, and instant tans..... children who want for nothing, who are never made to wait for a new bike, ipod or trip to the candy store. It has all created a society that cannot 'wait' for anything. I'm as guilty as the next person.

And then there's a phone call and your family's world changes. And you want answers. Right now. Immediately. But there are many more questions than answers and you have to wait. Wait and wait some more. And with this impatience comes the questions to God. Why this? I don't understand. It doesn't make sense. This isn't the way it's suppose to be. How could this be Your plan?

And with every question, the impatience grows. And you want more answers that are not forthcoming.

So what to do?

Trust.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And do not rely on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge Him
And He will make straight your paths."
Proverbs 3:5-6

It's always amazing to me that God finds a way to put my impatient heart at peace the moment I need it. The above verse is one I wrote down several months ago in my journal. I had pulled out my journal this morning and was leafing through it trying to find a blank page to write down some needed information and there it was. I turned right to the page with the verse. Right when I truly needed to be reminded that God is in charge. All my impatience won't change a thing. But putting trust in Him will give me patience.

Patience and trust. God is in control. I don't understand but God does.

No comments: