Saturday, May 31, 2008

Mothering

Keeley woke up this morning crying. Let me rephrase that. Keeley woke up VERY EARLY this morning crying. It was a cry that got me out of bed in 4 seconds flat and had me running down the hallway to her room, stabbing myself in the eye as I tried to put on my glasses at the same time.

The dreaded fever and coughing. The snotty nose. The flu. I picked her up and she snuggled right in. It's going to be a long day.

As I lay on the couch in the wee hours of the a.m., with a hot sweaty 2 year old snuggled on top of me, there were two things running through my head. One - please don't throw up on me. Two - I've been doing this mothering for quite some time now and it got me to counting.

16 years 6 months and 15 days.

That's how long I've been on this ride. No wonder I'm always tired.

No comments: