Sunday, May 25, 2008

Cystic Fibrosis

The 3 girls and I went on a Walk for CF today. What a beautiful day to support Eilidh's good friend, Melissa, and Melissa's cousin Emily. Cystic Fibrosis is a genetic disease that has no known cure and a shortened life span. You can find out a lot more about CF here:

http://www.cfvancouver.ca/

On our way to the walk, Kaitlyn asked me, "What exactly are we going to do? Just walk?"

"Yes," I replied. "Walk, and support Melissa."

I was close to tears as I watched Eilidh and Melissa walking hand in hand along the dike in Pitt Meadows, the shining sun making their hair glow. Two young friends out for a walk. Eilidh innocent to Melissa's daily struggles and the road that is ahead of her. It was a moment in time that will be forever etched into my memory.

There are many 'walks' out there....walks for various types of cancer, juvenile diabetes, lupus....even the SPCA. I think perhaps that because of this, we tend to ignore them unless we personally are affected. But as I walked with the girls alongside Melissa's mom and many other friends out to support these two families,
Kaitlyn's question echoed in my mind. "What exactly are we going to do?"

Sometimes it seems that there's not very much we can do. Donating money, yes, but as you hand over what seems like a paltry sum of money for the cause, it doesn't feel like you've really done much. Sometimes, just being there is what you can do. What you're going to do. Being there, understanding, learning. Just being the friend who will hold someone's hand as they walk down a path very different than yours.

We all support different causes. Autism is at the top of my list. I'm sure most of you reading this have a cause that is close to your heart. And that is so fantastic. But would you do me a favour? Click on the CF link and take 2 minutes to learn what CF is. That's all I'm asking.

No comments: