Thursday, March 12, 2009

How Not To Perform a Courtesy Call

I got a call from StarChoice TV yesterday.

A very nice lady on the other end of the line wanted to know why the Husband and I had decided to leave them for greener pastures, a.k.a., Shaw Cable.

I always find it funny when I get those kind of calls. I recognise the company is trying to find out why they've lost a customer. These calls are always as sweet as sugar on a sugar cube, and the person is always so polite and courteous and tries to bend over backwards to get you to come back to their company. But on the flip side, when I'm telling the company that the reason I left them was because of poor customer service.....well, it's kind of ironic. Or moronic. Why is the only good customer service I receive from their company happening after I leave? I'm not sure they understand the whole concept of 'happy customer'.

Regardless, I told the nice lady calling from the satellite company the reasons why we left them. I explained the poor customer service we had received and the problems that they had not rectified. The Husband and I had researched other options and decided to go with cable.

The nice lady was sorry to hear that. And then she ended our call with this:

"Well. Shaw Cable is actually our parent company, so I'm happy we've still got you."

It wasn't a courtesy call after all.

She phoned to mock me.

No comments: