Sunday, September 7, 2008

Gardening 101


My mom is laughing at the title.

Both my parents have green thumbs yet neglected to pass that gene on to me. They managed to pass on the obscenely early grey hair gene. Thanks for that.

But I persevered today and at the ripe age of 39 years old, I planted my very first daffodil bulbs.

This is a monumental day for me. Not only did I plant bulbs for the first time, but I also PLANNED something for next spring.

Every spring that comes along ends up with me looking forlornly at all the wonderful gardens full of yellow daffodils, MOCKING me and my lack of planning skills. Not this year, baby. I mean.....not NEXT year, baby. Next year I will have yellow flowers.

Well, assuming that I planted those bulbs correctly and they actually grow. To be perfectly honest, I'm not holding my breath. I know my mom won't be.

Gardening and planning. What a day.

No comments: